Welcome back to QCK!
Today I’m sharing the final recipe in my 3-part roast chicken “series”. I love using the last of the chicken in a soup because it infuses it with flavor and brings the leftovers back to life. Plus, we’re officially in soup season, so break out your slow cookers! If you’re working from an office, you can throw this in the crockpot on your way out the door from work, or tend to it while you work from home. Either way, it’s a great mid-week workday recipe. It requires minimal attention and yields enough soup to last you through the end of the week.
This is really similar to chili, but with a more Tex-Mex style. It’s a tomato based soup, loaded with corn, black beans, onion and garlic, seasoned with chili powder and paprika to get that nice, smoky flavor, and quinoa for texture. I love to load it up with shredded cheese, sour cream, avocado and pickled jalapeños, because how could you not? Plus, It’s super protein packed with beans and quinoa, so if you want to keep it vegan or vegetarian this is a really nutritious option.
Substitutions and Add Ons
- Chicken: If you’re not using my roast chicken recipe below, you can simply pick up a rotisserie chicken from the store, shred it and add it in. Otherwise, you can simply add 2 chicken breasts to the slow cooker right in the beginning, after about 2 hours, pull them out and shred, then add the shredded chicken back in.
- Black Beans can be replaced with garbanzo beans.
- Sweet Corn can be fresh or frozen.
- Chicken Stock can be replaced with vegetable stock.
- Quinoa can be replaced with rice.
- Sour Cream can be substituted with greek yogurt.
- You can also add fresh jalapeño, diced bell pepper, fresh tomato, celery, and carrot.
|Prep: 20 Min||Cook: 4-8 Hrs||Category: Soups||Yield: 8 Cups|
- 1-2 C Leftover Roast Chicken, shredded
- 1 C Quinoa, UNCOOKED
- 1 C Sweet Corn
- 1 (15 oz) Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) Can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1 Quart (4 Cups) Chicken Stock
- 1-2 C Water, if needed.
- Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream, Chopped Cilantro, Sliced Avocado, Pickled Jalapeño, Tortilla Chips, for serving. Optional.
- Add quinoa, corn, beans, tomato, tomato paste, yellow onion, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, paprika, cayenne, and chicken stock to a slow cooker.
- Stir well, cover and cook on high 3-4 hours, or on low 6-8 hours.
- Throughout the cooking process taste the soup to check if you need any additional salt or seasonings.
- Add extra water if needed, be sure to season accordingly.
- If cooking on high, add the shredded chicken when you have 30 minutes of cooking left.
- If cooking on low, add the chicken at 1 hr of cooking left.
- Once chicken is warm all the way through, remove and serve warm with desired toppings.
- Store in refrigerator up to 4 days, or freeze up to 1 month.
As always, I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you tried it out let me know in the comments. For more recipes check out my homepage and follow along on Instagram. Don’t forget to like, follow, comment and share. Thanks for reading!