Welcome back to QCK!
I’m sharing a recipe today that was meant to be shared last week. While I was really excited to post this last week, it actually ended up making more sense for today. Black bean & sweet potato burgers, we all know them and love them. They’re the OG vegan burger. Last week I made these for a “healthier eating” post but they ended up being the food that sustained me through a week of protesting, educating, volunteering and donating.
These burgers are perfect for anyone working on the frontlines of the pandemic, fighting on the frontlines of the racial injustices, or anyone who just has a busy week coming up. They’re a great meal prep and can be kept in the fridge or freezer for whenever you’re ready. They’re full of plant-based protein to keep you full and energized, along with fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Sweet potatoes are also known to boost your immune system, which we all need right now. They make a great grab and go between protests or whatever you have going on.
If you know anything about me, it’s that I’m super picky about texture. For this recipe, I smash some black beans with the sweet potatoes, but I also leave some whole and add corn kernels for a nice bite.
Substitutions and Add Ons
- Black Beans can be swapped for pinto beans or chickpeas.
- Corn can be fresh or frozen.
- Oats can be substituted for cooked quinoa.
- You can also add cheese, avocado, lettuce, tomato, bacon, egg, raw or sautéed onion, your favorite burger sauce.
|Cook: 1 hr||Active: 20 Min||Difficulty: Medium||Servings: 4|
- 1 Medium Sweet Potato
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 C (2-3 ears) Sweet Corn
- 1 Small Yellow Onion, diced
- 1/4 C Oatmeal
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 4 Burger buns, optional
- Romaine Lettuce, optional
- Avocado, Optional
- Cheese, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place sweet potato in a small, oven-safe pan with 1/2 inch water and cover with foil.
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until soft all the way through. Leave the oven on.
- Remove the skin and place the sweet potato into a food processor fitted with the S blade.
- Add HALF the black beans along with the oats and all spices. Pulse and process until well combined.
- Remove from food processor and place the mixture into a medium bowl. Stir in the remaining beans, yellow onion, and corn.
- Line a sheet tray with parchment and spray it with non-stick cooking oil.
- Form the sweet potato mixture into equal-sized patties and place on the lined, greased sheet tray.
- Place the burgers in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, remove from the oven and spray the up-facing side of the burgers with cooking spray. Flip the burgers and place them back in the oven for another 15-20 minutes.
- If you want to add cheese, do so during the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Enjoy the burgers immediately, refrigerate up to 3 days, or freeze up to 1 month.
As always, I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you tried it out let me know in the comments. For more recipes check out my homepage and follow along on Instagram. Don’t forget to like, follow, comment and share. Thanks for reading!