Welcome back to QCK!
I feel like broccoli gets a bad rep (or is it rap? Help me out) because of whatever mush it was that we ate at school lunch. But when it’s made right, it’s so good. And what’s the best way to make anything taste good? Cover it in melted cheese, right? Just kidding, kind of. But this broccoli is great, AND covered in melted cheese.
This broccoli is so simple, but so addicting. I start off by blanching the broccoli, just until it’s bright green and a little soft. Then I toss it with salt, pepper, olive oil, lemon zest, garlic and red pepper flakes. Then onto a sheet tray and covered in parmesan, into the oven for 10 minutes just to melt the cheese and it’s done. So easy, so flavorful.
It’s a really great side dish for pretty much any meal, I love this for Christmas of Thanksgiving cause it’s a quick, easy way to get a vegetable on the table. In the summer, if you’ve got a grill, this is a great grill recipe. It’s so easy to get caught up in all the meat, carbs and potatoes that I sometimes forget about something green, but this broccoli does the trick.
Substitutions and Add Ons
- Olive Oil can be substituted for butter.
- Fresh Broccoli can be swapped for frozen if needed.
- Parmesan can be swapped for your favorite cheese, mozzarella, cheddar, or gruyere would all be great.
- This is a really great recipe for any green vegetable like asparagus or zucchini.
- 2 Large Heads of Broccoli
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Lemon Zest
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 C Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Clean the broccoli by cutting off most of the stem (leave about 1/2 inch) and any leaves.
- Slice the broccoli lengthwise into “steaks”, or cut it into florets.
- In a medium pot, bring just enough water to cover the broccoli to a boil with some salt.
- Add the broccoli and cover, let it cook until the broccoli is slightly soft and vibrant green. Drain the liquid and run under cold water.
- Toss the broccoli in a bowl with olive oil, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Place the broccoli on a parchment lined sheet tray and sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to turn golden brown.
As always, I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you tried it out let me know in the comments. For more recipes check out my homepage and follow along on Instagram. Don’t forget to like, follow, comment and share. Thanks for reading!