Welcome back to QCK!
I like to think of Memorial Day weekend as the kickoff to BBQ and Grilling Season. So all weekend I’m posting my favorite BBQ sides and recipes and they’re all part of my Perfect BBQ Menu for if you’re grilling or using your oven!
One of my favorite BBQ sides is cornbread and honey butter and this triple pepper cornbread is absolutely perfect. It’s super moist with a little crisp around the edges, a little kick from the three different peppers and salty, sweet, creamy honey butter to tie it all together.
I mean look at that crumb shot! It’s so good!
Okay, so what three peppers am I using? Green jalapeño, red jalapeño, and poblano. A little spicy, a little smokey, and honestly, the red is just because look how pretty it is! It’s all about the details!
But seriously, once your guests get a slice of this cornbread and it’s so pretty inside and out and then it tastes absolutely amazing, it’ll be an instant hit.
Substitutions and Add On’s
- You can easily make this with a cornbread mix, but it’s so much better from scratch.
- If you want gluten free, just substitute the all purpose flour for your favorite gluten free mix, I like Cup4Cup.
- You can substitute any of the peppers listed in the recipe for any pepper of your choosing. Habanero is fun if you want some extra spice, different colored bell peppers are great if you want mild, and they look gorgeous.
- Buttermilk can be substituted for regular milk or regular milk with 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- Peppers can also be omitted.
- Honey can be substituted for brown sugar or maple syrup.
- You can substitute a skillet for a 9×9 square pan, a 9-inch cake pan or use a muffin tin.
|Prep: 15 Minutes||Bake: 30 Minutes||Difficulty: Easy||Servings: 6-8 Slices|
For the Corn Bread
- 1 C Yellow Cornmeal
- 3/4 C All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- 6 Tbsp Melted Butter
- 2 L Eggs
- 1 1/2 C Buttermilk
- 1 Jalapeño, seeds removed and diced
- 1 Red Jalapeño, seeds removed and diced
- 1 Poblano, seeds removed and diced
For the Whipped Honey Butter
- 1/2 C Very Cold Heavy Whipping Cream or Unsalted Butter, softened
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1/4 tsp Kosher or Flaky Sea Salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add melted butter, eggs, buttermilk and peppers, Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased cast iron skillet.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- In the meantime, make the honey butter by combining all the ingredients in a bowl with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment.
- If using butter, whip until well combined.
- If you’re using heavy cream, whip until a butter like texture forms and the milk solids begin to separate from the water. This is far past the point of whipped cream. Remove the milk solids and discard the water. Set on a paper towel to dry.
- Serve warm cornbread with whipped honey butter.
As always, I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you tried it out let me know in the comments. For more recipes check out my homepage and follow along on Instagram. Don’t forget to like, follow, comment and share. Thanks for reading!