Welcome back to QCK!
Today I’m sharing my recipe for these super easy, super flavorful lettuce wraps. This is one of my favorite warm weather recipes because it’s so light but so flavorful and surprisingly filling. They’re also a great low carb, low calorie, gluten free, dairy free option.
And yes, I totally just made up the name “Sunny Shrimp Salad”. If you think of something better, leave a comment.
So what’s all in a Sunny Shrimp Salad? Well, it starts out with shrimp, cooked in garlic and chili flakes. Then there’s sautéed corn and sweet peppers. All of those things get tossed in a bowl with cucumber, cherry tomatoes, a little red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, avocado and mango. Then a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil , a squeeze of lime, and some salt to finish. Give it a good stir so the avocado and olive oil coat everything in a sort of “dressing” and throw it all in a piece of romaine lettuce. It’s probably the easiest thing you’ll make all week, but also the most delicious.
When else can I make these? Well, besides being the perfect weeknight dinner, these wraps also make great party snacks! You can serve them either already assembled or let your guests do it themselves. My favorite way is to cut the lettuce in half or thirds and pre-assemble them for perfect little bites. They’re perfect for game night bites or as an appetizer at your next cookout. Looking at you Memorial Day! But they also make a satisfying, healthy, easy lunch whether you’re working from home or not.
Substitutions and Add On’s
- For vegan, replace the shrimp with tofu or black beans.
- Tomato can be substituted for bell pepper.
- Mango can be substituted for pineapple, or omitted.
- Lettuce can be swapped for mixed greens and eaten as a salad.
- Corn can be fresh or frozen.
- Tortillas can be used if you’re not into lettuce wraps.
- Shrimp can be substituted for chicken.
- Jalapeño can be substituted for any pepper you like depending on how mild or spicy you want these to be.
- You can also add black beans, pineapple, zucchini, or mushrooms.
- If you don’t want to cook, omit the corn (or use cooked corn) and make the shrimp salad just like you would make ceviche. Soak the shrimp in enough lime juice to cover all of it until it becomes firm and opaque. Then mix it with all your vegetables and drain the excess juices.
|Prep: 15 Min||Cook: 10 Min||Difficulty: Easy||Servings: 6 Wraps|
- 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flakes
- 1 lb Large Shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails removed
- 1 C Sweet Corn, off the cob
- 2 Sweet Peppers, thinly sliced
- 8-10 Cherry Tomatoes, halved
- 1 Mango, peeled and diced
- 1 Cucumber, diced
- 1/2 Small Red Onion, diced
- 1/2 Jalapeño, seeds removed, diced
- 1 Avocado, diced
- 1/4 Bunch of Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Lime Juice, about 1/2 lime
- Kosher or Sea Salt to taste
- 6 Romaine Lettuce Leaves, washed
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat, bring olive oil up in temperature.
- Add garlic, chili flakes and shrimp.
- Sear shrimp on one side for 2-3 minutes, then flip and continue cooking until white and pink, about 1 more minute.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, cook the corn and sweet peppers until corn is bright yellow and peppers are soft, 3-4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked shrimp, corn and sweet peppers with diced tomato, mango, cucumber, onion, jalapeño, avocado, cilantro, extra virgin olive oil, lime juice and salt.
- Mix well until combined and everything is coated in avocado.
- Season to taste.
- Scoop the salad into the lettuce leaves and enjoy!
As always, I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you tried it out let me know in the comments. For more recipes check out my homepage and follow along on Instagram. Don’t forget to like, follow, comment and share. Thanks for reading!