Welcome back to QCK!
Spring has sprung and I’m ready for all the warm weather flavors. Starting with everyones favorite, lemon. I’ve been seeing everyone on instagram making lemon desserts the past two weeks and I figured I better get in on it too. So today I’m sharing my recipe for a super moist lemon loaf with honey lemon icing.
Beyond the flavor, this loaf has a really light, fluffy texture with just the right crumb. It’s really similar to a muffin. Then on top of already being so incredibly moist, it gets a lemon honey drizzle just before being frosted that infuses it with all the flavor you could want.
I’m thinking maybe I should make this again right now as I’m talking about it….
Substitutions and Add Ons
- If you want a gluten free loaf, simply sub out the flour for you’re favorite GF, I like Cup4Cup.
- For a dairy free loaf you can substitute butter for coconut oil and milk for your favorite dairy free, I use oat milk.
- If you don’t want to use honey, simply omit it.
- A classic add on would of course be poppy seeds. They add such a nice texture. Add 2 Tbsp.
- If you like lavender this is a great recipe to incorporate it into your baking. Add dried lavender to your lemon drizzle while it’s cooking. Pass it through a fine mesh strainer before drizzling on to your loaf.
- If you want something fun and interesting you could make this with really any other citrus as well. It would be great with orange.
Tips and Tricks
- If you chose to decorate with strips of lemon zest, as I did above, soak them in your lemon drizzle while you wait for it to cool. It will soften the zest strips and sweeten them up while also infusing the syrup.
- Be sure to flour the pan, as you can see my edges got a littel dark, they don’t taste burnt but the direct contact with the oil in the pan causes the edges to get crispier. Grease then flour helps prevent that.
- The longer you allow the loaf to soak in the syrup before cutting into it the more moist and flavorful loaf you’ll have.
|Prep: 20 Mins||Cook: 45 Mins||Difficulty: Easy||Servings: 8|
For the Loaf
- 1/2 C (1 Stick) Unsalted Butter, room temperature
- 1 C Granulated Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Zest, about 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 C All Purpose Flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/4 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 C Lemon Juice
- 1/3 C Milk
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
For the Lemon Honey Drizzle
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Honey
For the Lemon Honey Icing
- 1/2 C Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- 2-3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- Strips of lemon zest, for garnish, optional.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and lemon zest, continue creaming until the mixture is fluffy and light yellow.
- In a seperate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In seperate bowl combine milk and vanilla.
- Taking turns, add dry and wet ingredients, mixing inbetween.
- Add lemon juice and mix well.
- Pour into a greased, floured loaf pan. Bake 40-45 minutes.
- Cool in pan.
- In the meantime, start the drizzle. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, combine sugar, honey and lemon juice. Stir constantly until all the sugar is disolved. Bring to a boil for one minute. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar, honey and lemon juice, Mix well.
- Once the loaf is cooled, poke small holes in the top using a tooth pick. Pour the drizzle over top and let it soak 30 minutes to an hour before eating. Pour icing over the entire loaf and add zest strips if you chose to.
As always, I hope you enjoyed this recipe! If you tried it out let me know in the comments. For more recipes check out my homepage and follow along on Instagram. Don’t forget to like, follow, comment and share. Thanks for reading!